• A hope-filled, data-driven learning event on the science and power of spirituality for children—and all of us.
• Creating Hope is for people who work in churches, schools, universities, health care, day care centers, after-school programs, non-profit organizations, and those who are raising their own families.
• This program is expected to attract 250 motivated learners who are vested in raising purpose-driven, resilient, and compassionate young people who grow into productive and nurturing family, workplace, and community leaders.
The half-day seminar is led by Dr. Lisa Miller, clinical psychologist, scientist, and author of The Spiritual Child: The NEW SCIENCE on Parenting and Health for Lifelong Thriving. In The Spiritual Child, Dr. Miller presents an evolving idea in psychology: the science and the power of spirituality. Based on her research, she explains scientific links between spirituality and health and how children who have a positive, active relationship to spirituality:
• are 40% less likely to use and abuse substances
• are 60% less likely to be depressed as teenagers
• are 80% less likely to have dangerous or unprotected sex
• have significantly more positive markers for thriving including an increased sense of meaning and purpose, and high levels of academic success.
Combining academic research with broad anecdotal evidence from her work as a clinical psychologist to illustrate just how invaluable spirituality can be to a child’s mental and physical health, Miller translates these findings into practical advice for parents, giving them concrete ways to develop and encourage their children’s—as well as their own—well-being. In her provocative, conversation-starting book, Dr. Miller presents us with a pioneering way to think about parenting our modern youth.